Monday, March 10, 2008
Monday, March 3, 2008
I will be researching the Dancing part of the Hip Hop subculture, which is a prominent part of the subculture as a whole. Hip hop dance covers the dance styles like Hip Hop, BBoy, Krump, mainly street dance styles, that are danced to Hip Hop music, or have evolved as a part of the Hip Hop Culture.
I will be researching about the surfing subcultures. There are a lot of things to do with surfing like clothing, sunglasses, watches, wetsuits, surfboards and keychains. It’s about looking good and being comfortable on a hot day. Very cool! There a great graphics related to the surfing culture.
Snowboarding is a relatively new sport that has become more popular in the last decade creating a subculture of its own. It evolved from a combination of skiing and surfing and skating. Snowboarders ride down snowy mountains on a board similar to a skateboard without wheels. It originated in the US but is now popular internationally and one of the Winter Olympics official sports.
I have chosen to study the 'Plastics' subculture. It is only a new subculture, being around for about 8 years. I find this subculture so strange and interesting. This is a subculture of money, opulence, fashion, cosmetics and being ruled by consumerism.
This group of people are quite materialistic and are ruled by the latest fads and trends.
Buying everything that opens and shuts, or what ever is 'said' to be cool.
The majority of the 'Plastics' are female but there is the odd boy that passes the 'metro' label and enjoys getting spray tans, wearing foundation and waxing there eye-brows.
The name of 'plastic' originates because of the plastic like look that they people have from the excess amount of make-up.
A movie that has given this Subculture more exposure is Mean Girls.
From its humble beginnings in the year 1971, this branch of stand up surfing has rapidly advanced and grown into an international sport, taken to fast, fun and often unimaginable extremes which is now well recognised by the majority of the population.
Saturday, March 1, 2008
I have chosen to research the Skater subculture, because I enjoy everything about skating. In recent years it has developed from a “copy of surfing sub-culture” into it’s own sub-culture. That has become one of the most popular “extreme sports” today. Skating is enjoyed around the world as a recreational sport, spectator sport and it is done professionally. Skating also has links with several genre’s of music.
Friday, February 29, 2008
derived from the two subcultures skateboarding and snowboarding.
It is quite an unknown and underground sport,
Also known as speedboarding it is action packed pure adrenaline!
I chose the graffiti subculture because I have always had an interest in the fantastic wildstyles and raw lawlesscreativity of it. Graffiti in reality does not have much to do with gangster activity - it is about getting art up,in-culture recognition and the rebellious run-from-law vandalism.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
I am going to research the subculture of SURFING!!! Mainly because I love surfing and my whole family surfs so it’s just been a big part of my life from a young age. The surfing subculture is one of the most influential subcultures in Australia, and has continued to grow and shape the way many people live.
Sunday, February 24, 2008
- Select a C19th/20th/21st Subculture to research.eg,Punk, Cyber Punks, New Romantics, Surf, Skate, Gothic, Hip Hop, Cowboy, Alternative religion, Environmental, Hippies, Gay and lesbian, Industrial , Furries, Straight Edge, Fruits, Bikers, Ravers, Second life etc
- Submit 50 words via this blog indicating your intended subculture to research by 04/03/08
- Examine the design industries that service the subculture e.g. Body adornment, graphics, fashion, hair, jewellery, object, architecture, fabric, furniture, symbols, logographics, venues, literature typography, illustration, packaging, animation, magazine layout, clothing, posters, flyers, advertising, music, dance, films, heros and heroines, significant designers, code of conduct, festivals. history, influences best urls books references etc.
- Research the chosen subculture using the internet, books, videos, journals, personal contact and observation.
- What are the characteristics of the subculture?
- Identify the effects of visual communication on popular culture.
- Identify the design industry and the brand names and logos that develop and provide product.
- Examine the impact of marketing on design.
- Examine the products and services utilized by the subculture.
- What are the historical factors impacting on the subculture?
- Has this subculture influenced other subcultures or society?
DUE 25 MARCH. 2008. 500 wds illustrated report using word, powerpoint or imovie. Submit via Stacy’s dropbox. Call your file subculture_yourname. file type 5 MINUTE VISUAL VERBAL PRESENTATION
* Information researched effectively.* Logical flow of ideas leading to a personal conclusion.
* Presentation should be neat and graphically creative.
* Handed in on time.
* On a scale of 100, pass mark would be 70